- Piping Engineers play a crucial role in plant design.
- Every process plant needs a piping system to be designed with care.
- The performance of plant depends on efficient transport of process fluid through the pipes according to material and energy balance for a process and this requires a systematic analysis and engineering design methods.
- Over the years many such standards and practices for piping system design have evolved and by itself is a major engineering science.
- Every engineering and construction company will then need trained manpower to design a piping system.
- To impart this initial training is our objective in starting this autonomous course
- The piping department of an engineering and construction company generally begins with the piping and instrumentation diagram (P&ID).
- Process department prepares process flow sheet, which begins with the chemical reaction and after carrying out material and energy balance and equipment selection, which is further utilized to prepare a first version of P&ID.
- This means that one can now begin actual plant design. Going through steps of plot plan and equipment layout, the next step is to start designing piping system for material transport.
- In our course, we will be adopting a building block concept, where we will begin with pipes selected by line sizing and hydraulics of pumps and compressors used to transport material. These pipes are “connected” using pumps and compressors, add to it the valves, safety devices, measuring instruments and control components and first rough sketch of piping structure would be over.
- However a scientific and systematic approach is developed over the years and design codes and practices evolved are used to go through a step-by-step procedure to come up with a piping system structure.
- Learning this systematic science is the aim of this course. No such structure will be approved by engineers unless its stress analysis is done including stress at the connecting components such as nozzles, flanges, pipe supports and so on.
- We will be using pipe stress software to find if designed structure can sustain static, dynamic and combined stresses.
- General flowcharts for piping design procedures in parts at least are provided during the actual exercises.
- Thus, process and piping are becoming a major force in engineering, procurement and construction (epc) companies as part of Engineering IT culture being developed and justify a growing need for qualified engineers to take up this profession.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- B.E./ B.Tech/ Engg Diploma: Mechanical/ Chemical & Allied/ Production/ Industrial
- Final Year Appearing Students
- Industry Professionals
- Others with relevant experience